Los Cristianos is a popular tourist destination, characterized by a lively and colorful port and a vast expanse of hotels and apartments to accommodate the many visitors that flock here.

Despite the booming tourist center has retained some of its original character as a fishing village with old buildings in which you can still see the typical Canarian architecture.

There is a promenade Accessible and alleys populated by restaurants, bars, ice cream parlors and souvenir shops; hills behind residential apartment complexes and tourist will extend almost to the highway that connects the airport to the north of the island.

Geography

Los Cristianos is located on the south coast of the island, has a population of about 19,000 inhabitants. It is located in the municipality of Arona between the small hill of Chayofita and the largest of Guaza.

The industry of tourism is the main source of employment. As a result of this boom, the agricultural sector went into decline, the latest crop of bananas was done in the early 90. A small fishing fleet still works, but almost all commercial shipping, has been replaced with tourist cruises and from the ferry to the nearby islands of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Palma.

With a large selection of small shops, restaurants, small shopping centers, as well as a number of major supermarket chains is also an important commercial center for the south of Tenerife

Los Cristianos is quickly replacing Arona as the administrative center of the south of the island, with its "cultural center" that takes on many of the roles of the town hall and is also home to the "Juzgados de Arona" (court).

The TF1 motorway connects the capital Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and Tenerife South Airport.

The city has its own bus terminal with regular services to other parts of the island. There are daily ferries to the neighboring islands of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Palma from the port operated by Naviera Armas and Fred Olsen Express. Fred Olsen Express has replaced the service which was previously run by a fellow Garajonay Express low-cost airlines went bankrupt in 2008.

History

The first historical references to Los Cristianos date back to the sixteenth century, when it is described as a port by the notary Hernán War, and has remained over the centuries XVII, XVIII and XIX, but until the second half of the nineteenth century, was the victim of acts of piracy, as there resided population enough to justify the construction of a strong defense.

The first permanent settlement of Los Cristianos was in 1860 when it was described by Pedro de Olive as "a fraction of Arona, with three-storey houses, a two-story house and a hut." and was officially recognized in the government documents in 1888.

The population began to grow around the turn of the century with the advent of industry and commerce. Become the threat of pirates and privateers a distant memory, Los Cristianos with its natural harbor prospered as a center of import-export of southern Tenerife. In 1909, to ship the products of a local distillery, a first pier was built which still exists today and is known as "El Puerto Viejo", there were also other industries, a factory of resin, salt mines and a fish factory salty.

Agriculture had no development in the local economy until the land was not irrigated by Teofilo Rodriguez Bello, who in 1914 was authorized to build an aqueduct that connected his land Vilaflor with land owned by his father in Los Cristianos . This fueled further economic expansion with the creation of plantations of tomato and banana crops which required new workers.

In 1924, with the increase of population residents commissioned the construction of the Chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The chapel was demolished in 1987 and the new parish church was built in its place in the center of Los Cristianos.

In 1934, in the bay, was built a new port that could accommodate larger ships and allowed the development of fisheries and increased the volume of commercial transport. A further development of the port came in 1975 and it was inaugurated with a daily ferry service between Los Cristianos and the neighboring island of La Gomera.

Around the time of World War II, a series of fortifications, at least three small bunkers were built along the coast, perhaps as a defense against a possible British invasion. During World War II Spain was officially neutral, but considered friendly to the axis, as the Nazis had financed the fascist victory in the Spanish Civil War. Some of these fortifications are still intact.

In 1956 the former writer and television presenter Swedish Bengt Rylander (known locally as Don Benito) came here suffering from multiple sclerosis, hoping the warm climate and clean air could help relieve his ailments. His recovery went well, and his experience it spread rapidly. In 1957 he was joined by some friends who had suffered from polio and rheumatic diseases.

So, Los Cristianos in the late 50's and early 60's a meeting place for Swedes in trouble and convalescence. These unlikely pioneers have left their mark on the city, giving its name to one of the main streets of Los Cristianos, the "Avenida de Suecia" (Avenue of Sweden) and the "House Sueca", now the Swedish Lutheran church, located on the waterfront .

Over the years, tourism was not limited only to the Swedes, but a growing number of visitors from other European countries.

The 1960s saw the construction of the first large buildings, to accommodate the growing number of tourists, these included Cristianmar, Rosamar and the four-star Hotel Oasis Moreque. The constant number of disabled visitors Swedes, led to the opening of the rehabilitation clinic Vintersol in 1965.

The number of tourists in Los Cristianos grew steadily in the 1960s and 1970s, but it was only after the inauguration of the new airport "Reina Sofia" that tourism really began to expand in the south of the island.

A number of large hotels and condominiums were built during the 1970s to accommodate the growing number of tourists and workers, but it was in 1980 that the city began to expand massively.

Los Cristianos began to attract a number of British citizens, emigrated permanently or semi-permanently to escape the cold winters English. English is widely spoken and there are a considerable number of bars, restaurants, shops and services aimed at tourism proprità of British.

To visit

Monkey Park

Jungle Park

Excursion to the islands La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro

Hotel

book hotel or apartment

in Los Cristianos

Beaches

The main beach (Playa de los Cristianos) is a sandy beach close to the port and boasts a range of services, including water sports, beach volleyball, showers and children's play area. Playa de las Vistas is located in the next bay, beyond the harbor and is artificial, protected by breakwaters, also boasts a range of services, including water sports, showers and a tourist information website. In December 2008, the promenade of Los Cristianos, which was originally built in the seventies, has been completely renovated.

There is also the rocky beach of black sand El Callao in the "Rincón", Los Cristianos, (between the promontory near Puerto Viejo and the cliffs of Montaña Guaza.)

nearby the beaches:

El Palmar - Arenita

El Camisón

Nightlife

The nightlife of Los Cristianos is mainly addressed to adults, young people will find suitable premises to them in nearby Playa de las Américas.

Most Cabaret Bar closes around midnight, after that comes alive in the area of San Telmo until morning.

Condividi

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter